paper

Prayers in the Land of “If Not”

In Amazed and Confused, I talk about the importance of having “if not” faith. The kind of faith that navigates us through the moments when God’s actions collide with our expectations. The faith that sustains us when God doesn’t respond in the way we think that He could or should. The kind of faith that stands the test of life.

It’s reflected in a story in Daniel 3 in the humble confidence of three Jewish boys who find themselves caught between a crazy king and a fiery furnace in Babylon. When they refuse to bow down to the idol the king has erected, they were threatened with death. This was the response:

Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to defend our actions in this matter. We are ready for the test. If you throw us into the blazing furnace, then the God we serve is able to rescue us from a furnace of blazing fire and release us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if He does not, O king, you can be sure that we still will not serve your gods and we will not worship the golden statue you erected.

This is the kind of faith that knows God can, believes God will, but chooses to worship even if He does not.

Maybe you are living in the land of “if not” right now. Perhaps you are staring into a future that seems uncertain. What does prayer look like?

I am facing an “if not” moment in my life right now. Beyond the obvious prayers that God will come through, work miracles, and do what only He can do, I’m also praying for a few other things. Including:

• That I would see the faithfulness of God, regardless of the outcome.
  • That God would glorify Himself in me and through me, regardless of the outcome.
  • That those who are a part of the journey would be curious about the Jesus who I follow and the faith that sustains me.

What do you pray in the land of “If Not?”

May 19, 2014 [ Tags: , , ] 8 Comments

8 Responses to Prayers in the Land of “If Not”

1. I’m studying Esther right now. If I perish, I perish!

2. Donna Waldrop says:

I am about to finish your book “Amazed and Confused”. When I first started reading I wasn’t sure I would finish it but I have thoroughly enjoyed the study of Hab. and your commentary. My pastor husband and I are without a church ministry right now. He resigned back in Feb. We are trusting God for the future and are living in the land of “If Not” right now. We have seen His hand so many times in the last few months and in the months leading up to Feb. We feel He brought us to that dead end that your talked about in your book, so we can make a turn to something beyond what we would have asked or hoped before.
    So thank you for your writings and for being a part of “my story”. I will pray for you!

3. Korihor says:

Prayer doesn’t work. God isn’t real. If I’m wrong, then have God tell me himself. Ask your God why he allows rape & slavery. I would love to hear his answer to that!

4. Heather says:

Korihor- want to meet up and talk about it?

• Korihor says:

Have your God contact me directly to setup a time to meet.

• Heather says:

I’m more than happy to meet you. Ebenezers Coffeehouse. Let’s find a time.

• Korihor says:

Hey, I still haven’t heard anything from God yet. “Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.”(1 Kings 18:27)

More likely than not, God doesn’t exist. And it would take an act of God to prove me wrong.

I hate it when Christians get the idea in their head that Atheists who want to engage with Christians are “seeking”. We are not seeking, we are spreading the good news of Atheism and sharing our beliefs with others because there are many Christians out there who spread misinformation, mischaracterizations, and outright lies about Atheists.

If you would like to learn more about Atheism, I highly suggest the book, “Atheism For Dummies”.

5. Heather says:

Hey Korihor-

Wow. There you go again making assumptions. This time making assumptions about my assumptions. I’ve never assumed anything about you other than the idea that you wanted to engage in honest conversation. Now that you have stated your intentions– to use my blog as a platform to declare your own ideas– I’m going to have to block you. I don’t block people who disagree with me, but I do block people who are interested in using my blog as a megaphone for their agenda. This blog is open to anyone and everyone willing to engage honestly.

Also, if I have said anything to spread misinformation, mischaracterize, or spread lies about atheists on this platform, I apologize, I would love for you to point those out to me so I can avoid that in the future.

Finally, if you would like to re-engage, shoot me an email. You know where to find me. I’d still love to hear your story and would be open to looping you back into the conversation.