Recently, I shared on the Ten Commandments during our Covenant Series at NCC, and I kicked off the message with a little reading of the Ten Commandments of the Sawyer family.
Now granted, these were never posted in our house. And never really enumerated as such by my parents. But as my sister and I reflected on the rules of our childhood, these were some of the ideas that emerged.
By popular demand, I post them here:
- Thou shalt not play in the front yard without adult supervision until the time you have attained the appropriate age. At that time, thou shall not talk to strangers whilst playing in the front yard.
- Thou shalt not ride thy bike past the driveways of the neighbors three houses in either direction until thou hast acquired the requisite number of years in age to go further.
- Thou shalt not settle for an A-.
- Thou shalt be kind to other children even when they are not nice to you, especially to those who are different from you, even if they are Yankees.
- Honor both the Crimson Tide and the War Eagle, for the state of Alabama has two noble teams that are both worthy of our pride and support.
- Thou shalt only drink full-sugared sodas, preferably Coca-Cola. Diet Coke is disgusting.
- Thou shalt not sit on the front row of the church and talk to Jayne Fisher while obnoxiously imitating the preacher.
- Thou shalt drive the speed limit at all times…unless you are late for a softball practice or a game at which time thou shalt drive as quickly as necessary to arrive on time while remaining undetected by law enforcement officers.
- Thou shall not arrive at Disneyworld after the gates have already opened nor shall thou leave before the gates close. Thou shalt stay the entire time and not get tired.
- Thou shall always wear underwear that are clean and without holes because you never know when you might be in a car accident and taken to the hospital.